The release of Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider this week marks a pretty exciting time in the life of the Xbox One. What is possibly more exhilarating however, is the coming November 12 update that will introduce us to the backwards compatibility functionality that we have been so eagerly waiting for. Xbox One Preview members have seen some of this functionality already and later this week 104 Xbox 360 games will be available in the first batch that will be playable on Xbox One.
Out of those 104 here are 10 that I still find spectacular and I may be more excited for these 10 Xbox 360 games than I am for Fallout 4 (just kidding… a little).
9. Plants vs. Zombies – I was late to the party on this one and ended up playing it for the first time after I downloaded it on Games with Gold, but it’s grown (groan?) on me. Another game I enjoy playing with the kids that will just be more convenient to have on a single console.
8. Viva Pinata – I bought this game originally because it was from Rare, but also because it was kid friendly. I didn’t have a lot of games I could play with my then two year old, but here we are in 2015 and my daughter is old enough now to figure out a control scheme. It’s time for her to love a pinata.
7. Fable II – I remember murdering my wife because I came home from a quest and was greeted by a little boy I had no recollection of siring. I’m pretty sure it was a fluke,, and the boy was mine, but the memory holds and her alleged adultery started me down a path of violence and debauchery that the kingdom never recovered from. Man. I want to play that game again.
6. Condemned: Criminal Origins – C:CO was the first game I played on the Xbox 360 when the console launched back in 2005. I remember the gritty, visceral feel of the melee combat mechanics combined with the cool detective gadgetry. I look back on this game with many fond memories and I look forward to dusting off the disc for another play-through.
5. Perfect Dark – I very much appreciate that I can pre-order a game on Amazon and have it on my doorstep by the time I get out of work on launch day. That wasn’t the case in 1999 when Perfect Dark was originally released on the Nintendo 64. (Yes, I am old enough to have been there for it.) My giddy teenage self set aside an entire weekend to devote to the highly anticipated follow-up to Rare’s GoldenEye, and now 16 years later I still like to turn it on from time to time. I’m glad I will not lose that ability even if Jo Anna is showing her age.
3. Assassins Creed 2 – Ah Ezio, you and I spent much of our lives together. The first assassin I ever loved, figuratively speaking of course. AC2 solidified the series in my playlist and the only AC game to top it today has been Black Flag. I’d like to see the whole series become backwards compatible, but AC2 is a good one to start with.
2. Gears of War 2 – In my opinion GOW 2 is the best in the series. The heartbreak I felt when Dom and Marcus finally found what they were looking for was very real to me and I will admit that I had to see out a few tissues after that cutscene was over. I’m looking forward to having the whole series on Xbox One, but I’m looking forward to GOW2 the most.
1. Mass Effect – I wasn’t too sure about Mass Effect when I first picked it up (where were the lightsabers?), but by the time I got to Ilos I was hooked. I must have 15 complete play-throughs saved. I could play this game over and over again and never get bored with it. That makes it my number one. Hell, I’d pay to have it on Xbox One if I needed to. And there’s nothing wrong with the inventory system. You shut your dirty mouth.
There you have it. The 10 games I am most excited to have on my Xbox One (for the moment) thanks to backwards compatibility. Is there a game out of the 104 that you’re excited to play again? Let me know in the comments!
Note: As far as I know, all of these images were tagged with ‘free to share’. Please yell at me if you wish to invoke your copyright.